Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Fish Out Of Water

Have you ever felt like you've been thrown into a hidden camera scenario, where you're sure the joke is just about to be revealed so you just need to stiffle your laughter and play along? This is my life right now.

Since arriving in Chicago a few days ago, what I've seen of the American way of life is straight out of every sitcom, drama, TV show I've ever seen.

I'm waiting for reality to kick in, but I just don't think it's going to!

I think the fact that I've been taken to so many cool places helps with the illusion too, but even the small things, like people saying "Shut Up" to each other when they're impressed with a story, or surprised but the outcome, makes me giggle.

Where I'm staying is fabulous. Lincoln Park is just North of the city, and is right along the side of Lake Michigan (the third largest lake in the Great Lakes chain). My apartment overlooks a gorgeous 'Central Park' style area, which borders the lake, but the view is similar to that back home in Adelaide - that of an ocean. I'm still struggling to believe it's a lake. Seriously. The beaches, volleyball, boardwalks with thousands of joggers and cyclists also doesn't do much to change the illusion of this massive body of water. But enough about nature. Let's talk about my specialities - shopping, food and drinking!

The day I arrived, Dave, my supurb tour guide and fellow Aussie, took me to a great little bar which was a short walk from the apartment called Zuppa. Complete with beer garden out the back, this experience allowed me to sample Bud Light and some other hideous beer while trying to combat my jet lag. At least we provided some amusement for the staff who couldn't believe I'd come straight off a plane into their establishment. Go the Aussie spirit.

We also stopped past a little cafe, almost diner style, which provided us with the largest choice of meals and the most ridiculous portion sizes I've ever seen.

Next stop was the supermarket, where I quickly discovered that Rocket, Pine Nuts, all fish varities I knew, wine and pretty much everything else that I usually bought, was either not available or was called something COMPLETELY different. The exciting part of this was that I discovered that Grey Goose, Belvedere, Moet, Verve and all the other good stuff I normally like to drink was all under $35. It was like Christmas all over again.

Since then, I've been to a BBQ at someone's house I didn't know, lazed on the beach, gone for a run whilst playing Frogger to avoid the mad scramble of bikes, roller blades, dog walkers and others around here, visited the zoo across from my apartment, frequented the roof top pool here and listened to American college students tell their sitcom stories to each other, gone shopping on the Miracle Mile (fabulous street of all your favourite designer and other great stores), seen the Chicago River, gone to the Navy Pier for a Venetian Night spectacular (complete with dressed boats - which I missed - and a great fireworks display - which I saw), gone for a lovely ride on the famous ferris wheel, had a gorgeous brunch at Lot 36 (great wine bar/restaurant next to the House of Blues), gone Spanish with Paella and Sangria at a very authentic, noisy restaurant in the city, wandered the streets until I hit a MAC store, and had a variety of other fabulous adventures. And I haven't even been here a week. Oh, and here's a cracker. I've taken public transport. Yee har.

No comments: