Thursday, March 8, 2012

Giggling Middle Aged Men

Today I had the unsavoury task of waking up at 4am, as I had to get to the airport bright & early for the redeye to Melbourne.

Although an interesting story might entail what I presented on at the CAMMS Performance Management Summit 2012 at the Hilton on the Park, it's the flight I'll tell you about.

I had the opportunity to make Single Serve Friends (thank Fight Club for that reference). You know, the people you sit next to during the flight, pretend you care about what they have to say, swap cards and then never speak to them again.

Unfortunately my 4am wake up call inhibited any useful conversation I might have attempted on the flight, so instead I chose to soak in all the interesting things going on around me.

More specifically, the couple sitting next to me. Well I thought they were a couple. He cracked ridiculous jokes for the entire flight, followed by nervous giggles (literally after everything he said) and she tried her best to turn that into conversation.

And just for the record, there is nothing great about middle aged men giggling.

I figured this might be their first dirty weekend away together, and the nervousness and awkward laughing was his way of coping.

Turns out I was wrong. They both work for the same company & were on their way to a conference for the day.

Awkward.

I wonder if there will be any office romance after this little jaunt? I hope so. It would have to lessen the tension and make things easier for the next in-flight seat neighbour to cope with.


No comments: