Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Press* and The Marquis, bringing Christmas joy to me

This time of year is frightening. Let me clarify. It's frightening to the waistline. Despite this, I've taken it upon myself to accept pretty much ever Christmas lunch invitation going. I'm playing a little catch up with existing associates, networking with potential clients, and doing as much business as possible, over food and wine. You see, since I had by baby 6 months ago, I've dropped out of the scene a little, so I have relationships to strengthen. Well that's my excuse anyway. Oh, and did I mention the Christmas parties and drinks after work?

Now that I've justified myself, let me tell you about my recent indulgences.

Yesterday I experienced Press* on Waymouth Street. Cleverly named to reflect the giant Advertiser building across the road (well that's my assumption anyway), I can certainly imagine many business lunches and drinks happening between journalists here. After walking through the low key entrance, you are met with long wooden tables with matching tables, which I'm guessing are there to encourage strangers to eat together and find their new BFF IRL. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you need to spend more time online. Or not. Hang on, I'm getting distracted. I didn't eat at these tables. I went straight upstairs to a more intimate area, where you sat with those you arrived with. Much more traditional. And comfortable. Now to the important part. The food. Yes, it was incredible. We had 14 people at our table and the waiters brought out an array of tapas dishes which proved to be hit after hit. The order of the food was slightly unusual though, with the heavy meat & fish dishes being brought out hours after we arrived, when, quite frankly, we were ready for coffee and dessert. I suppose this is a positive thing in a way, as it meant that we filled up long before they anticipated. Generally I find that someone goes hungry when shared tapas are chosen for a meal. Some of my favourite dishes included a carpaccio topped with a creamy salad, various sashimi dishes, a great beetroot salad and the desserts were to die for. As we went to leave, the waiter opened some doors (we hadn't noticed) and a great little outdoor area was revealed to us. More of a terrace garden space than a balcony, complete with a few little tables. I can't wait to go back there and enjoy some wine in that space. 


The wine wall at The Marquis
Next up, The Marquis on Gouger Street. This was today's treat, and I was lucky enough to eat there over a business lunch meeting. After yesterday's culinary delights, I didn't expect to be wowed again, but it seems that Adelaide's venues are on fire at the moment. This is a sensational venue. The Marquis brings a contemporary Parisian experience to the centre of Adelaide - offering a diverse venue which reflects a more French way of utilizing a space. Go there for a coffee and read the paper, take the ladies for a bottle of bubbles (so many different ones to choose from!), or sit down to enjoy some incredible food - The Marquis caters for the lot. The highlight of the venue however, has to be its wine list. It's epic. With over 700 wines, this certainly caters for everyone - from those with lower budgets to wine lovers who are looking for something unique and delightful. And guess what... you can purchase wine to take away. Yes, you read that correctly. This venue is essentially a hotel, so you can pick up a bottle of wine while you're waiting for your Chinese food from down the road. Yes, this place has it all. Because of the 'bottle shop' mentality of The Marquis, this is the perfect place to drink wine though, as you'll only pay a tiny corkage fee on top of the purchase price - making this SO much cheaper than the average restaurant or bar, which substantially marks up bottle prices. Wait, I'm distracted again. Wasn't I talking about food? Why don't you just go in and find out for yourself. You won't be disappointed. The chef is just brilliant.

The Moon Fish (far) and the King George Whiting (close)



No comments: